Friday 9 December 2016

Nomen omen

After resisting this for way too long, I've finally decided it was time to release more widely a couple of the R packages I've been working on $-$ I've put them on GitHub, hence the mug...

In both cases, while I think the packages do work nicely, I am still not sure they are ready for an official release on CRAN $-$ effectively, this is mainly due to the fact that documentation may not be super yet, or, more importantly, that I'm still updating some of the basic functions a bit too often.

I knew GitHub was the way to go, but like a grumpy old man I've so far resisted the idea of learning how to manage it. However, because people I wanted to test survHE were struggling to install it (because of its complicated system of dependencies $-$ I'll say a bit more later), I thought this will be a very good alternative. 

So, I've created Git repositories for survHE and SWSamp (I've talked about this here) and the packages can be installed by using devtools in R $-$ I think something like this:


install.package("devtools")
install_github("giabaio/survHE")
install_github("giabaio/SWSamp")

I think devtools may fail to install all the dependencies' dependencies under Windows (as far as I understand this is a bug that will be fixed soon) $-$ so the workaround is to use the development version of devtools. Or indulge R and install the missing packages that it requires.

No comments:

Post a Comment