Tuesday 17 July 2012

The BCEA Supremacy

If you're reading this, you may think that I've not really done anything else than being on the blog today. That is not entirely true and between bouts of blogging I have actually done some work.


One of the things I've accomplished today is to finish (surprisingly early!) my presentation for Friday's talk at the European Conference on Health Economics, in Zurich. 


Up until now, my only contacts with Zurich have been through Jason BourneDigression alert (1): I've read the book after I watched the movie. This is quite boorish of me (you know what I mean if you've watched this $-$ and if you haven't, then you should!). Digression alert (2)as it turns out, there are several factual errors in the movie, many of which in the part set in Zurich; for example, there's a long scene in the "US Embassy", which in fact doesn't exist, given that the Swiss capital is Bern. 


So, all in all, I don't really know anything about Zurich. I hear it's nice, but my prior is really flat and I'll check it out, albeit quickly.


I will talk about BCEA (which I've already discussed also here). The slides I have prepared are here. There isn't much time (only 12 minutes plus discussion), so I'll have to rush through some of them, but I think that should be enough to at least give a very quick idea of what the package can do.


The point I'll try to stress is that it is not able to produce or run the analysis model, but only helps in post-processing the output. It would be cool if it became the de facto standard for this kind of analyses (that's why I'm unashamedly pushing it so much, including in the book). 

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to see the city. For what I did see, it didn't really look memorable, but I might have missed all the good parts. So, since the evidence is even poorer than my prior, I haven't really updated my uncertainty on Zurich.

    The talk on the other hand went quite well, I thought. I believe I saw quite a few people scribbling notes while I was talking $-$ of course, that doesn't mean that I can exclude that: a) they were just furiously doodling or b) writing up insults directed to me or my presentation...

    It'd be nice if you could monitor the number of downloads from CRAN, to see if there's some effect in the uptake of the package after today. I believe you can't actually do it, though, so I'll rely to emails and personal contacts (one person straight after the talk has sent me an email and two have come to talk to me).

    ReplyDelete